June 13, 2014

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Everyone loved the cookies. I think my boyfriend must have eaten at least four in a row! We probably have to spend some extra time at the gym to make up for it.

Apart from sweets, I enjoy cooking savory things too. I used to cook for myself almost every weeknight when I was studying abroad, and now I usually cook on the weekends with my family as guinea pigs. One of the easiest sides to whip up and impress with flavor are roasted brussels sprouts. I absolutely hated them until I made this recipe for a special request. I had only eaten the boiled icky kind before so I was hesitant to try roasting them. But now I am a convert and I love them roasted like this. They are super easy to make! You just cut them up and put them in the oven. I add bacon to give it extra depth in flavor and I find that it helps caramelize the sprouts more to make them sweeter.


MmmMMMm crispy bacon and caramelized sprouts!

Recipe

Ingredients
  • Brussel sprouts (one pack should be enough for 2 people as a side)
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • Olive oil
  • Bacon, chopped
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 195C/380F.
  2. After rinsing the sprouts, remember to drain well or else they will be harder to crisp up in the oven.
  3. Chop the hard stem off the bottom of the sprouts and then in half.
  4. Put the sprouts on a baking tray in one layer and toss with oil, salt and pepper.
  5. Put the bacon evenly throughout the layer of sprouts.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes* or until the sprouts become crisp 

*Depending on your oven, you may have to check the sprouts at the 15-minute mark to make sure they don’t burn.


No comments:

Post a Comment